Below, we have compiled a list of some of the most exciting and breathtaking destinations around the world. These locations are all places that travelers are particularly excited to visit this year because of their beautiful views, exciting histories and vibrant local cultures.
- Tel Aviv, Israel — Israel’s capital is filled with some of the country’s best new architecture, museums and sun-soaked beaches. One truly unique experience is visiting the Beit Hatfutsot, or Diaspora Museum, to learn about Jewish communities around the world.
- Macau, Special Administrative District of China —A former colony of the Portuguese empire, this collection of coastal islands has now become a major resort city with a gambling industry seven times as large as Las Vegas. Like many other gambling destinations, Macau is full of luxury hotels, exciting shows and beautiful architecture. What makes it so unique, however, is the many historical sites that mix Portuguese styles and tile work with traditional Chinese food, history and sites.
- Okinawa, Japan— Comprised of over 160 islands toward the south of Japan, this region is a great place to experience Japan in a place that is off the beaten path. From war memorials and beautiful waterfalls to sacred sites and the Shuri Castle, a reconstructed Ryukyu royal palace, Okinawa has something to offer every traveler.
- Rome, Italy— This ancient capital is home to the ruins of the Roman Forum and the Coliseum and also surrounds the Catholic capital of Vatican City and its accompanying cathedrals and museums. There is so much to do and see in Rome that it is a must-see destination for any world traveler.
- Edinburgh, Scotland, U.K.— Full of history, beauty and entertainment, the Scottish capital is full of rich history and colorful local culture. Hike to the top of the hill and explore Edinburgh Castle or grab lunch at the Elephant House where famous authors, including J.K. Rowling, have written books over coffee and sandwiches.
- Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico— This picturesque city in central Mexico is filled with Baroque and Neoclassical colonial structures that have inspired artists from around the world. Now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the city is home to many artists and craftsmen working in mediums including papier-mache, blown glass and paint. The beautiful surroundings and artistic flair make this town the perfect getaway for lovers of beauty.
- Cape Town, South Africa — This iconic city is located on the southern tip of the African continent and is an urban experience unlike any other. You can explore the V&A Waterfront, learn more about the city’s varied past or go for extraordinary hikes to Table Mountain and Lion’s Head.
- Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.A. — The self-proclaimed “Music City” lives up to its name as you can find live music somewhere at any time of the day or night. Home to many country music legends, Nashville also hosts singer-songwriters, honky-tonk bands and many more musical styles. Although not one of the biggest cities in America, this Tennessee state capital is a great place to experience real Americana. Visit the Grand Ole Opry, the County Music Hall of Fame or a full-size replica of the Greek Parthenon.
- Arequipa, Peru — Nestled in the Andes between three volcanoes, Peru’s second-largest city is a hub for trekking, rafting and the region’s distinct cuisine. Sometimes known as “La Ciudad Blanca,” or “the White City,” many of Arequipa’s old buildings are made out of white volcanic rock, giving the architecture a unique kind of beauty.
- North Island, New Zealand — Including the large city of Auckland, the North Island of New Zealand is packed with excitement and adventures for people looking for something truly different on their trip. Explore stunning landscapes or set out on the water to see the diversity of life just below the surface. The North Island is also a particularly good place to get to know the rich Maori culture and learn about what New Zealand was like before western cultures arrived.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: