Ask An expert

My son is a US citizen and is applying to sponsor green cards for my husband and myself. We are 79 and 73 respectively. We don't have any income and will be supported by him. Will we qualify for cheap or free medical?

Barbara, 15 Sep 2017

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunatley, new immigrants have a five year waiting period before they qualify for Medicare which is the affordable health insurance provided to senior citizens. During this waiting period, you can purchase private insurance. We have several options available for new immigrants to the US.

Given your age and recent immigrant status, the best policy available for you is called Green Cover. This policy is available for green card holders 60-95 years of age. 

Have A Question About Travel Insurance ?
Ask A Question
Similar Questions
Information provided here in the form of Questions and Answers is for general purpose only and may not be current and accurate at all times. Insurance terms and conditions, benefits, and coverage are subject to change at any time. For this reason, it is possible that the information given here could be outdated or incorrect. VisitorsCoverage inc. assumes no responsibility or liability for the accuracy of these answers. Any use of the information on our website is subject to our terms and conditions and user agreement. It is recommend that you review the latest Evidence of Coverage and Plan Contract (Policy) for a detailed description of coverage benefits, limitations, and exclusions. Please read the Policy Brochure and Plan Details for complete and accurate information. Only the Terms and Conditions of Coverage listed in a particular policy are binding.
Our website uses cookies to help us improve user experience so that we can better serve you. By proceeding, you agree to allow us to utilize these cookies for future use. For more information, please view our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.