Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
Accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance pays you a lump sum amount if the death and dismemberment is direct result of an accident.
In the event of death of an insured, the amount will be paid to the beneficiary.
In case of dismemberment, that is a loss of any limb, a fractional amount of the insurance is paid to the insured. AD&D insurance generally pays for the loss of limb, sight and permanent paralysis .The types of injuries covered and the amount paid depend on the package and vary from insurer to insurer, and are explicitly enumerated in the insurance policy.
AD&D insurance is good for somebody who works in a high risk profession. Let's say a construction worker or a mine worker may be particularly interested in a AD&D policy. Also, those who travel frequently may benefit from purchasing AD&D insurance.
Accident death and dismemberment insurance can also be added as a rider for many travel insurance policies, check with your travel insurance advisor.
AD&D insurance may not cover you under following circumstances:
- Death as a result of some sickness
- Death during a surgery
- Death resulting from mental or physical illness
- Drug Overdose death
For example, if you commit suicide or attempt to intentionally hurt yourself, the AD&D policy would not pay out. The same holds true for the case of death caused on the war field. Also, if you suffer from a heart attack while driving and thus end up crashing your car, your beneficiary would not receive any payment from the AD&D insurance policy.
Some of the known plans that offer AD&D benefit are:
- Travel Ex: Travel Select, Travel Lite
- CSA: CSA Travel protection
- Travel Guard: Travel guard Essential, Med Evac
- TIS: Travel Insurance Select
Facts and Important Things to Know:
- AD&D covers you for injury or death resulting from an accident.
- AD&D Insurance will not covers you for death as a result of sickness.
- It can be purchased as a rider on an existing policy or as a separate policy.
If you have any questions about AD&D Insurance, contact one of our licensed insurance agents at email@example.com.