J-1 visa is issued by the U.S. government to people taking part in academic or cultural programs sponsored by schools, businesses, organizations and institutions. Individuals are granted a J-1 exchange visitor visa if they are visiting the US as an au-pair, nanny, student, scholar, trainee, teacher, professor, research assistant, medical graduate, or international visitor, and participating in a program of studies, training, research, or a cultural enrichment program.

J-1 visa is for persons who are approved to participate in exchange visitor programs in the U.S., under provisions of U.S. immigration law. This means that before you can apply at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate for a J visa, you must first apply, meet the requirements, and be accepted for one of the Exchange Visitor Program categories through a designated sponsoring organization. If you are accepted as a participant in an exchange program, the sponsor will provide you with information and documents necessary to apply for the J-1 visa to enter USA.

Students entering the USA on J-1 visa must have valid health insurance for J1 visa that meets certain health insurance requirements for J1 Visa set by the Department of State / visa authorities. For J-1 Visa holders, health insurance is not an option, it's a requirement. If you are applying for a US visa as an exchange visitor, then the first thing you might want to consider before applying for your J-1/Au-Pair visa is health insurance.

Learn More: J1 Visa Health Insurance

Our website uses cookies to help us improve user experience so that we can better serve you. By proceeding, you agree to allow us to utilize these cookies for future use. For more information, please view our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.