Foreign students studying in USA on F1 visa, enrolled in graduate or undergraduate program can take up a practical training job known as OPT (Optional Practical training). OPT students can work without H1B visa for up to 12-29 months, depending on their field of study. Students on M-1 visa may also take up OPT for maximum period of six months. They are allowed for one month training with four months of study.
During this period of OPT, a student may not be eligible for regular student health insurance. Such a student may purchase short-term health insurance from private insurance companies, who can provide health coverage for this period until students remain on OPT or even gets work permit like H1 Visa.
STMM Short Term Major Medical
AM Best Rating: A
- Available for up to age 64.
- No Coinsurance or separate co-pay
- Coverage from 1 to 3 months
- Coverage up to $1 million policy maximum
- 10 day free look-up period, no cancellation or refund available after that
- Not renewable
- Only available to residents of: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Minnesota, Texas,Louisiana, Oklahoma and Virginia
IHC IHC Secure
AM Best Rating: A-
- Available up to age 64
- Two options available- Secure STM and Secure Lite
- For Secure STM:Plan pays 80% or 50% for first $10,000 and then 100% up to $2 million
- For Secure Lite: Plan pays fixed limited dollar amount for each service and treatment up to policy maximum of $750,000
- 10 day free look-up period, no cancellation or refund available after that.
- Extra $25 application fee
- Available to residents of: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Utah, Virginia