Insurance for Visitors to the US
There are many reasons why someone might visit the United States. Whether it's for work, to attend college, visit relatives and even to become U.S. citizens, there are certain considerations that must be taken before embarking on a trip to the United States.
In addition to planning the logistics and your travel plans, you should consider purchasing visitors insurance to cover any sudden and unexpected medical expenses that could come up. An illness or injury can result in incredibly high bills, and even more exorbitant costs for situations like a hospital stay, surgery or emergency medical evacuation.
Insurance for visitors helps ensure that foreign visitors to the United States can access health services at nearby medical facilities without worrying about facing high medical bills. Let's take a closer look at this type of health insurance plan, what it covers and who should considerÂ travel health insuranceÂ for their next trip to the U.S.
More About Health Insurance for Foreign Visitors
As suggested in the name, we're discussing a type of short-term travel health insurance that helps to cover medical expenses for people visiting the United States. There are different situations in which people may find this kind of policy beneficial:
- A short-term vacation:Â Non-U.S. citizens take trips to the States all the time, including to visit relatives.Â Visitors traveling to the U.S.Â for a short-term trip should secure a visitors insurance policy to help guard against the costs of medical or travel emergencies.
- Students attending school in the U.S.:Â AboutÂ 5% of all studentsÂ enrolled in American colleges and universities are international students. These individuals should carryÂ student health insuranceÂ during the time that they spend studying abroad in the U.S.
- Those visiting with a visa:Â Individuals that come to the U.S.Â with a J1 Visa including for an exchange program, government training, education or scholarly research, and for camp counselor, au pair and other job positions will also need insurance for visitors in addition to their visa documentation.
- New immigrants and green card holders:Â In addition to those with J1 visas, other travelers beginning the immigration process, or those that already hold green cards, canÂ benefit from insurance for visitors. These policies can help provide coverage before a government or employer health insurance plan kicks in. Immigrants living in the U.S. might have extended family overseas. In that case, they'll want to get visitors insurance for their parents when they visit.
- U.S. citizens in specific situations:Â U.S. citizens that now live outside the country may need insurance for visitors if they decide to take a short trip back to the States. This situation can be a bit complex, butÂ you can read more about it here.
What Does Visitors Insurance Cover?
As you can see, there are an array of different types of policies to suit a variety of travelers' needs. Whether visitors are coming for a short trip to visit family abroad, or have secured work or an educational opportunity, there's a health insurance plan available for their international travel needs.Â
The coverage provided varies depending on the exact policy and provider. However, the purpose of these insurance plans is to help cover medical expenses, like those related to an injury or illness, or, in some cases, the acute onset of pre-existing conditions.Â
Coverage may be limited to a specific PPO network, where the provider offers a list of doctors and hospitals where insurance can be used. Some plans provide benefits like specific coverage for urgent care visits or cruise trips, and some policies may even offer limited trip insurance that covers things like the loss of a passport.Â
With health insurance for visitors, travelers can head to the nearest hospital or doctor's office (within their PPO network, should it apply) and show their insurance card. From there, visitors can receive the medical service or assistance they need and request an itemized bill for the services provided. After documenting this claim form, policyholders can be reimbursed for covered medical services through their insurance provider. Connect with our Customer Success Team Â today to learn more about purchasing the best trip and travel insurance coverage the best visitors insurance coverage for your specific needs.