Individuals and their families who need medical insurance for a limited period of time should purchase short-term health insurance. Short-term health insurance plans are available for individuals and families looking for temporary coverage in the USA, until they are eligible for domestic health insurance. These are best suited for for recent U.S. immigrants, college graduates, international students on OPT visas, early retirees waiting on Medicare to begin, guest work visa holders, such as H or L visas, and U.S. citizens returning to the U.S. after living abroad. These short-term medical insurance plans are also appropriate for individuals who have been laid off from their jobs, are in-between jobs, or are waiting on their permanent health benefits to begin at their new job. These plans are available for individuals up to the age of 64.
The insurance plans listed below are some of the most top-rated temporary medical insurance plans that provide excellent health coverage for up to 3 months for individuals and families in the USA.
STMM Short Term Major Medical
AM Best Rating: A
- Available for up to age 64.
- No Coinsurance or separate co-pay
- Coverage from 1 to 3 months
- Coverage up to $1 million policy maximum
- 10 day free look-up period, no cancellation or refund available after that
- Not renewable
- Only available to residents of: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Minnesota, Texas,Louisiana, Oklahoma and Virginia
IHC IHC Secure
AM Best Rating: A-
- Have to be Legal Residents of USA for at least 12 months
- Available up to age 64
- Two options available- Secure STM and Secure Lite
- For Secure STM:Plan pays 80% or 50% for first $10,000 and then 100% up to $2 million
- For Secure Lite: Plan pays fixed limited dollar amount for each service and treatment up to policy maximum of $750,000
- 10 day free look-up period, no cancellation or refund available after that.
- Extra $25 application fee
- Available to residents of: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Utah, Virginia