Top 10 Tips to Shop for Visitors Health Insurance: How to Pick The Right Health Insurance for Visitors
- Understand the basics of visitor medical insurance, and how visitor insurance works.
- Understand your needs and narrow down the list of features you must have in the travel insurance plan you are looking for.
- Do some basic research for a few different plans and then compare them.
- Read the plan brochure carefully and make sure you understand what is covered and what is not. Carefully read what is not included in the policy.
- Do not rely completely on what someone tells you; follow the fine print carefully.
- Buy from a licensed agent/website, which has been authorized to sell insurance in USA.
- Do not only go for "AM Best ratings. Any plan which is rated as "A" or higher by "AM Best Rating" is recommended.
- Do not completely believe or rely on the "Testimonials" posted on different travel insurance websites as those can be fabricated.
- Buy your policy before you travel. Do not wait until the last moment.
- Just because you bought a visitor health insurance policy doesn't mean that you are completely covered, and will not incur any expenses. The insurance company will only cover you as per the written clauses and conditions in the policy and not what you think or presume.
- Exclusions such as pre-existing conditions, including heart problem, diabetes, cancer, or any other illness that you may have at the time of buying the insurance, and pregnancy are not covered by most insurance plans. So do not expect to be paid for those claims.
- Insurance companies rely on physician's or hospital's report to determine the pre-existing condition or medical problem and they make their decision based on that, and not what you think.
- There aren't anything called Deals or Discounts in the travel insurance industry. You will get the same quote/price for the same plan, irrespective of who the insurance provider.
- Claims are generally directly handled by the policy administrator, not the agent. You can learn more details from the card you receive after buying the policy.
- Visitor health insurance companies primarily offer claim-based policies. You should not compare them with your domestic health insurance. In some cases, you may need to make the payment first and then claim for the covered expenses later.
- When you file your claim, it may take some time for the insurance company to get records from the hospital and physician. There can be some paper work involved in the entire process, which, too, takes some time to review. Thus you should expect some delay during the processing time. Do not expect your claim to be reimbursed immediately.
- The insurance industry is regulated in the United States. A seller or provider must have a valid license and knowledge to advise you about insurance products.
Since, each visitor has different needs, the travel insurance industry has a vast selection of visitor health insurance policies to meet those needs. Check out our wide range of Visitors Insurance Plans that will help you pick the right visitor health insurance to meet your needs. To learn more about which visitor travel insurance to buy, contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your questions with one of our licensed travel insurance agents.