Find the best travel insurance plans for ChileViews Plans
Chile, is situated along the western seaboard of South America. It extends approximately 2,700 miles bordering Peru and Bolivia, to the tip of South America at Cape Horn. On its long eastern border is Argentina.
Easter Island, the Juan Fernndez Archipelago, and the volcanic islets of Sala y Gmez, San Flix, and San Ambrosio are located in the South Pacific, but are under the sovereignty of Chile. The capital is Santiago.
Before you begin your journey, you’ll want to be prepared for the unexpected. This is where travel insurance comes in.
Travel Insurance Requirements for Chile
To enter Chile, you must show evidence of health or travel insurance that covers COVID-related medical care up to a minimum of US$ 30,000 for the duration of your visit. Failure to produce this may result in being refused entry to the country.
With several plans to choose from, VisitorsCoverage can help. Determine your travel plans, length of stay, and the requirements for entry. Then compare plans side by side with our comparison tool. We have travel medical plans with emergency medical evacuation, comprehensive insurance, and more. We also have plans that cover the Covid-19 requirements.
For U.S. residents traveling from the U.S., trip insurance with Cancel for Any Reason (CFAR) insurance is an option so that you may recoup some of your prepaid costs if you need to cancel, postpone or cut short your original travel plans for any reason, including COVID-19-related concerns.
COVID-19 in Chile
If you travel to Chile, here are some Covid safety precautions to take. Vaccinations must be up to date. Also know the requirements of safety precautions while in-country. Do not travel if you test positive for Covid.
For the most up-to-date information on Covid restrictions for traveling, please follow CDC guidelines.
Health & Safety
Chile has a moderate rate of Covid-related illnesses. Here are some other health and safety tips for your stay:
- Carry a card that identifies, in the local language, your blood type, chronic conditions or serious allergies, and the generic names of any medications you take.
- Wash your hands often, especially before eating.
- If soap and water aren’t available, clean hands with hand sanitizer (containing at least 60% alcohol).
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you need to touch your face, make sure your hands are clean.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Try to avoid contact with people who are sick.
- If you are sick, stay home or in your hotel room, unless you need medical care.
Chile currently has asked visitors to exercise increased caution due to civil unrest.
Maintain Personal Security:
- Research your destination(s), including local laws, customs, and culture.
- Monitor travel advisories and alerts from the US Department of State.
- Carry contact information for the nearest US embassy or consulate.
- Carry a photocopy of your passport and entry stamp; leave the actual passport securely in your hotel to avoid loss or theft.
- Follow all local laws and social customs.
- Leave a copy of your itinerary, contact information, credit cards, and passport with someone at home.
- If possible, book hotel accommodations between the 2nd & 6th floors.
Make sure you are up-to-date on all routine vaccines before every trip. Some of these vaccines include:
- Chickenpox (Varicella)
- Flu (influenza)
- Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR)
Other recommended vaccines: (not required)
- Hepatitis A & B
- Rabies - if traveling in areas in coexistence with wild animals
For the most up-to-date information on required vaccinations and other health requirements, visit the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) website.
Visas & documentation
All visitors must have a valid passport at the time of entry that covers the duration of the visit. A tourist visa is not required for stays of 90 days or less. There are several countries that do not need a visa at all, please check the link below for the Visa application and requirements.
Chile has incorporated an online Visa application form to complete before visiting.