Find the best travel insurance plans for Saint MartinView Plans
Looking for trip insurance? View Trip Insurance Plans
The French side is a scenic place to relax with colorful boats and beautiful houses built into the cliffs. You'll also find some of the best food in the Caribbean.
Travel insurance is required for St. Martin
As of January, 11, 2021 the Saint Martin (AKA: Sint Maarten, St. Maarten, Saint Maarten, Saint Martin) government has implemented mandatory COVID-19 insurance for all visitors to the island with the exception of flight crews, cruise ship crews, French nationals, AUC faculty and students and BES-ZVK medical referrals. The insurance buying process is a step in the EHAS application. For a complete list of Covid restrictions, please visit St. Maartens travel requirements page.
COVID-19 in St. Martin
If you have to travel, here are some Covid safety precautions to take. For the most up-to-date information on Covid restrictions for traveling, please follow CDC guidelines.Buy Covid Travel Insurance
Covid information for your trip
Do you know the Covid situation for your destination? Keep up with country-specific advisories and notifications.
Health & safety
There are no particular health concerns on Sint Maarten/St. Martin, but it's always best to be prepared. Mosquitos are a common nuisance but they are generally not disease-carrying. Even still, window screens may not be effective and you'll want to bring bug repellent.
Wear sunglasses, a hat and be sure to apply a lot of sunscreen. Increase your time on the beach gradually. Too much time in the sun without adequate protection might lead to heatstroke. Seek medical attention if fever, chills, dizziness, nausea, or headaches follow overexposure.
Petty crimes are not uncommon in Dutch St. Maarten. Be sure to lock your cars and hotel doors and windows. Use common sense and take basic precautions. Always be aware of your surroundings, and avoid walking alone after dark or in remote areas.
Make sure you are up-to-date on all routine vaccines before your trip. Here are some common vaccination recommendations for Saint Martin.
- Chickenpox (Varicella)
- Flu (influenza)
- Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR)
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Yellow fever
For the most up-to-date information on required vaccinations and other health requirements, visit the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) website.
Visas & documentation
To enter Sint Maarten, you'll need the following:
- A valid passport for the duration of your stay on Saint Maarten. You must be in possession of a visa upon your arrival if your passport was issued from a country requiring a visa.
- A valid return or onward ticket.
- The necessary documents for returning to your country of origin.
- You may be asked to prove to the immigration officer that you have a valid reservation for an accommodation St. Maarten (eg. hotel or villa reservation) or that you're the owner of a property on the island, for example, a residence, condo, or timeshare.
- An immigration officer might request proof of adequate financial support for the duration of your stay on St. Maarten or that you have a declaration of guarantee from a legal resident of the island.