Why do you need travel insurance?
Overall, travel insurance is very beneficial to have, even just for your own peace of mind. In addition, if any of these situations arise during your trip, you can be confident that you have a backup plan, and you and your travel companions are covered:
- You need to cancel your trip: If something personal arises, or an unexpected work requirement comes up that just can't wait, travel insurance helps ensure that you don't lose out on the cost of your travel if you need to cancel. Best of all, whether you decide to cancel, or the flight is canceled by the airline, your trip insurance comes through.
- You missed your connection, or your trip is interrupted: What happens if your travel is delayed and you don't make the connecting flight? This is a top fear of most travelers, but with insurance on your side, you don't have to worry about being stuck in an airport, miles from home, with no plan or fallback. Trip insurance enables you to take the next flight or otherwise rearrange your travel plans.
- Bad weather affects your travel: Whether its a hurricane in the Pacific, a snowstorm in the North East or a heatwave in the south, your travel insurance helps ensure that you can plan around unexpected bad weather.
- You become sick, injured or need medical assistance: You simply can't plan for everything, and even if you arrive at your destination without struggles or barriers, your travel insurance can still be a major asset during your trip. If you're injured in a hiking accident, eat a foreign delicacy that doesn't agree with your stomach, or you or your child are struck with an unexpected fever, your travel insurance means you can get access to local assistance without worrying about high medical expenses.
This only scratches the surface when it comes to the reasons behind your travel insurance purchase. From trip cancellation costs, flight change fees, medical treatment costs and more, VisitorsCoverage insurance ensures that you can travel with confidence.
How much insurance do you need?
The level of insurance coverage you need will vary according to a few different factors, including whether or not you're traveling internationally, if your travel is for business purposes and the overall trip cost.
Luckily, with a provider like VisitorsCoverage, you can compare and buy the top travel insurance coverage that will meet your needs, no matter where you roam, how long you travel for and what happens along the way.
There are a few things you should consider when comparing insurance plans to ensure that your coverage meets your needs:
- Trip cost
- The purpose of your trip (business or pleasure)
- Potential for trip cancellation
- The luggage you're bringing, and any valuables you've packed
- The need for emergency services and/or medical evacuation or expense coverage
- International travel, including visitors coming to the U.S., or U.S. citizens taking trips outside of the States
One of the biggest perks of purchasing your travel insurance plan through VisitorsCoverage is the fact that we're a travel insurance marketplace. This way, you get to compare general and more specialized trip insurance coverage from all of the leading providers. You can easily see and compare all the details of every plan, and find the one that suits your exact trip itinerary and provides adequate coverage for you and your travel companions every step of the way.
How much does travel insurance cost?
Similar to the level of coverage, the cost of your travel insurance and the amount of your policy premium will vary depending on your travel plans, destination and the number of travelers in your party, among other factors. However, according to a 2019 study of more than 50 travel insurance policies from top providers, you can expect to pay about $150 - $200 for your trip coverage.
VisitorsCoverage allows you to compare more basic policies against comprehensive coverage, and select the insurance that provides all the coverage you need without breaking the bank.
Which travel insurance is best?: A plan for every trip
Travel insurance is an ideal way to provide peace of mind while you travel, and ensures that even if something unexpected happens, you're protected against added fees and other financial losses.
VisitorsCoverage provides plans to meet every kind of trip and travel need, including:
- Domestic or international travel
- Business trips or vacation
- Coverage for travel arrangements and/or medical needs
- And more!
There are a few main types of travel insurance plans that you can choose from, based on your needs and the purpose of your trip:
Your trip is an investment - protect it with Trip Insurance. In the event of an emergency, cancellation or other trip interruption, Trip Insurance can guard your pre-paid travel expenses (airfare, hotel accommodations, etc.) and ensure that you aren't stuck paying added fees or cancellation costs.
While this policy doesn't cover every situation, if you experience an illness in the family that causes a trip cancellation, if you miss your flight due to bad weather or you misplace your passport or luggage, your Trip Insurance policy will provide coverage.
Traveling for business can be incredibly stressful - any delays or interruptions could result in missed opportunities, and could end up really costing you or your company. Business Travel Insurance provides you and your employees peace of mind, especially if your job requires frequent trips.
In the event that you need to return home early, you lose a bag and need to purchase a new suit or you fall ill and need medical assistance, your Business Trip Insurance policy will come through for you.
Taking a trip overseas can bring its own set of unique obstacles, for both U.S. and non-U.S. citizens. If any medical emergency comes up during international travel, you must be sure that you can get the assistance and services you need. International Trip Insurance is a type of travel medical insurance that can cover travelers taking shorter trips, as well as those planning to live abroad temporarily.
With International Travel Insurance, you're guarded against any global health risks that impact the area you're visiting, and you can get immediate assistance for medical services and expenses. This kind of policy also covers you in the event of an emergency evacuation due to terrorist activity or inclement weather, loss or theft of personal belongings as well as accidents or illnesses. Best of all, with a comprehensive international medical travel insurance policy, you can call your insurance provider from any location, and have them help facilitate emergency or other health services.
If you or a loved one are a visitor to the U.S., you can get more specialized Visitors Insurance to support the trip. This type of insurance is best for:
- Business travelers with B1 Visas.
- Travelers visiting family members in the U.S.
- Other visitors with B2 Visas.
Visitors Insurance provides medical travel insurance, and can cover new illnesses, accidents or injuries, medical evacuations and more. Depending on the chosen policy, certain elements like pre-existing medical conditions, preventative care services, maternity or childbirth, major dental issues or vision treatments may not be covered.
With a provider like VisitorsCoverage, you can shop top Visitors Insurance policies from providers inside the U.S., as well as non-U.S. providers of travel health insurance. This way, you can work with the insurance provider that understands you and your travel needs.
What to look for and when to buy
Traveling can be a fantastic experience - especially when you have the confidence and peace of mind that a travel insurance policy can offer. When it comes time for you to shop for your travel coverage, there are a few key features to look for that can help you narrow down your choices and select the policy that truly meets your needs.
- Type of plan and coverage: As you can see from the section above, plans will differ according to the purpose of travel, whether you're traveling overseas or domestic, as well as the type of coverage you need. You should select a plan that lines up with your needs, like a Business Travel Insurance for a company conference, for example, or general Trip Insurance in case of a cancellation during a vacation.
- Trip insurance cost: The price of your insurance can vary according to the traveler's age, coverage amount limit and type of plan. Some travelers prefer to purchase more basic, cost-effective plans, whereas others opt for slightly more expensive and more comprehensive policies. Whatever your needs, VisitorsCoverage has options to meet your travel requirements and your budget.
- Renewing or extending coverage: Depending on the policy you choose, you may be able to extend the plan before it expires. This can come in handy particularly for longer trips, if an emergency comes up requiring you to stay or if you decide to extend your vacation by a few days. Checking for renewability is important, and you should look into whether your particular insurance coverage continues if the policy is renewed.
Ready to start your journey?
Connect with our support team today to learn more about available travel insurance policies and the best type of coverage for your next trip.