As the weather starts to cool off and children go back to school, it may be the perfect time to take an adult vacation. Whether you don’t have kids, are an empty-nester or simply traveling without your little darlings, the time between school starting and Thanksgiving break can be the perfect time for a grown-up getaway.
Furthermore, it can be a great time to get away for a trip without a bunch of kids at your destination. Often, crowds are lower too as families with school-aged children aren’t traveling as much. This can lead to some great deals for activities and lodging if you know where to look. So the biggest question is not whether you should travel, but where you should go?
Here are a few of our ideas for great vacations:
- Boozy Breaks: Visiting a region where wine, beer or spirits are made is a great way to relax and indulge in some adult beverages. Because fall is when grapes are harvested and crushed for wine, visiting a vineyard or two can be a perfect way to have fun without children around. Some of the best wine regions in the world are considered to be Central France, Southern Australia and California in the United States. Scheduling a few wine tastings a day, along with time to relax and soak up the autumn sun is a great way to spend your time off. If you plan on drinking at a lot of different places, consider hiring a driver or shuttle service to move you between locations. Also, always remember to drink responsibly and check travel advisories and make sure that your alcohol-of-choice has not had issues reported recently.
- Thrilling Theme Parks: If you love theme parks but hate the crowds, the time between Labor Day and early November is one of the lowest attendance times for these parks. Keep in mind that some parks have events around Halloween that may be frightening and cause a spike in the number of guests to the amusement park.
- Tranquil Beaches: If your ideal vacation is lying on a beach without the screams of nearby children, fall can be an excellent time to enjoy a beach getaway. Before snowbirds arrive from cold climates in the winter months, resorts in places like Hawaii and Cancun see a dip in numbers of visitors and much lower numbers of children. Visiting a warm climate can help you escape the oncoming chill of fall and stretch summer out a little bit longer.
- Soothing Spa Days: There’s never a bad time to pamper yourself! Spending some time at a nearby spa can be a great way to slough off the stresses of autumn. Or, if you want to get farther away, many spa and vacation resorts have special deals for the low-visitor time between Labor Day and Thanksgiving. Also, you can get ahead on holiday shopping by purchasing spa packages or gifts for your loved ones.
- Calming Cruise: Like many other industries, cruise lines suffer from lower attendance this time of year. As a result, you can get some great last-minute deals for an autumn cruise to almost anywhere in the world. If this sounds like the trip for you, check out some of our tips on cruises and be sure to always get insurance, just in case a late season hurricane decides to show up.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: