In light of theÂ COVID-19 pandemic, travelers are looking toward the future and wonder what travel will look like in the months and years to come. As much as we might all want a simple solution, the truth is that we cannot ever fully know the future.Â All that we can do is hope for the best, and protect ourselves and our loved ones in case everything does not go according to plan.Â
When youâre planning travel, the best way to protect yourself, your loved ones and your financial investment is to purchase travel insurance. In a pandemic situation, like the one we find ourselves in currently, there are certain benefits that are more important than ever.
At this time, there are no travel medical plans that will cover you if you are diagnosed with coronavirus before the policy start date. This makes it all the more important to have a policy already in place before something unfortunate happens.
Here are some benefits that can be particularly helpful during a pandemic:
- Coronavirus-Specific Coverage: If you are traveling to the U.S. there are a few plans that will cover you specifically for the current coronavirus pandemic so long as you meet certain criteria. These plans are especially important for individuals entering the United States and planning to stay for an extended period of time.
- Cancel For Any Reason: One of the most important benefits that you can have Â to your trip coverage is Â âCancel For Any Reasonâ. This allows you to receive financial reimbursement for covered trip expenses should you need to cancel your trip for any reason, not just those listed on a policy document. Because viral outbreaks are rarely listed as covered reasons for trip cancellation on basic trip insurance plans, âCancel For Any Reasonâ coverage is key ensuring that you receive the benefits of your trip plan in the event of a coronavirus outbreak at your departure or destination area.
- Trip Interruption Coverage: If you are traveling and the area you are visiting or planning to visit next is shut down due to a viral outbreak, trip interruption coverage can help you get home safely and recoup any financial losses from the parts of your trip that you were not able to enjoy.
- Medical Evacuation Coverage: Should you be diagnosed with COVID-19 or another illness and need to be transported back home while ill or injured, transportation costs can be astronomically expensive. Medical evacuation coverage can help make sure that you can focus on recovery instead of the bill to get you to safety.
- Language Translations: Emergency translation assistance is an important benefit to have any time you travel to a country where you do not speak the local language. This benefit is helpful if you have an emergency and need to communicate with medical staff in a different language. This benefit allows you to call your insurance provider and receive translation help to best communicate with local medical experts. Although many of our plans include this benefit, itâs always a good idea to review the policy documents and double-check that this vital benefit is on your plan.
Have more questions? You can read more about Covid or speak with our Customer Success Team of licensed insurance specialists to find the perfect insurance plan for your needs.