VisitorsCoverage logo

J2 Visa Health Insurance: Required for All J2 Visa Holders

J2 Visa Health Insurance: Required for All J2 Visa Holders

A J-2 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued to spouses and dependents of J-1 visa holders. Spouses of J-1 exchange visitors and their children who are unmarried and under the age of 21 are eligible for a J-2 visitor visa. J-2 visitors can enter and stay in the US only while the J-1 exchange visitor is participating in his/her exchange program and has valid J-1 visa status. 

In order to apply for a J-2 visa, the spouse and dependents must obtain approval from the J-1 visitor’s sponsor to join him/her during his/her exchange program. Some J-1 exchange categories and visitor exchange programs do not permit J-2 visas, but those that do permit J-2 visas allow visa holders to work in the U.S. by obtaining an Employment Authorization Document (EAD card). 

Like J-1 exchange visitors, J-2 visa holders are required to have medical insurance during their stay in the U.S. 

J2 Visa Health Insurance Requirements

The J-2 insurance requirements are the same as J-1 visa health insurance requirements. Medical insurance coverage for J1 and J2 visa insurance must meet the following minimum benefits: 

  • Medical coverage of at least $100,000 per illness or accident, meaning that the J-1 visa holder’s medical insurance policy must have a policy maximum of at least $100,000 in the event of a medical problem.
  • Repatriation, or return of mortal remains, coverage of at least $25,000. If the J-1 or J-2 visa holder dies in the US, repatriation benefits cover the costs of transporting his/her mortal remains back to his/her home country.
  • Medical evacuation coverage of at least $50,000 to return the exchange visitor to the nearest medical facility or to his/her home country.
  • Deductible amount no more than $500 per accident or illness.

Medical insurance policies that meet the above listed benefit requirements must be underwritten by an insurance carrier that possesses the following features:

  • A.M. Best rating of A- or above
  • McGraw Hill Financial/Standard & Poor’s Claims Paying Ability rating of A- or above
  • Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above
  • Fitch Ratings, Inc. rating of A- or above
  • Moody’s Investor Services rating of A3 or above

VisitorsCoverage offers exchange visitor insurance plans that meet the J-1 and J-2 visa insurance requirements set by the Department of State.

Related Articles

Is the Visa Sponsor Liable for a Visitor’s Unpaid Bills?

The I-134 is a contract between the sponsor and the US government stating that the sponsor will be responsible for the visitor/beneficiary while the person is in US. Make sure the sponsored person has financial support for the duration of their stay i.e. maintenance costs like food, boarding, clothing and health care – things necessary to support their living including healthcare and welfare while in USA.

Applying for a Russian Visa? Travel Insurance May be Mandatory

Everyone who visits Russia needs a visa. Oftentimes, obtaining this visa is the most difficult…


Plan features listed here are high level, provided for your convenience and information purpose only. Please review the Evidence of Coverage and Plan Contract (Policy) for a detailed description of Coverage Benefits, Limitations and Exclusions. Must read the Policy Brochure and Plan Details for complete and accurate details. Only the Terms and Conditions of Coverage Benefits listed in the policy are binding.