A J-2 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued to spouses and dependents of J-1 visa holders. Spouses of J-1 exchange visitors and their children who are unmarried and under the age of 21 are eligible for a J-2 visitor visa. J-2 visitors can enter and stay in the US only while the J-1 exchange visitor is participating in his/her exchange program and has valid J-1 visa status.
In order to apply for a J-2 visa, the spouse and dependents must obtain approval from the J-1 visitor’s sponsor to join him/her during his/her exchange program. Some J-1 exchange categories and visitor exchange programs do not permit J-2 visas, but those that do permit J-2 visas allow visa holders to work in the U.S. by obtaining an Employment Authorization Document (EAD card).
Like J-1 exchange visitors, J-2 visa holders are required to have medical insurance during their stay in the U.S.
J2 Visa Health Insurance Requirements
The J-2 insurance requirements are the same as J-1 visa health insurance requirements. Medical insurance coverage for J1 and J2 visa insurance must meet the following minimum benefits:
- Medical coverage of at least $100,000 per illness or accident, meaning that the J-1 visa holder’s medical insurance policy must have a policy maximum of at least $100,000 in the event of a medical problem.
- Repatriation, or return of mortal remains, coverage of at least $25,000. If the J-1 or J-2 visa holder dies in the US, repatriation benefits cover the costs of transporting his/her mortal remains back to his/her home country.
- Medical evacuation coverage of at least $50,000 to return the exchange visitor to the nearest medical facility or to his/her home country.
- Deductible amount no more than $500 per accident or illness.
Medical insurance policies that meet the above listed benefit requirements must be underwritten by an insurance carrier that possesses the following features:
- A.M. Best rating of A- or above
- McGraw Hill Financial/Standard & Poor’s Claims Paying Ability rating of A- or above
- Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above
- Fitch Ratings, Inc. rating of A- or above
- Moody’s Investor Services rating of A3 or above
VisitorsCoverage offers exchange visitor insurance plans that meet the J-1 and J-2 visa insurance requirements set by the Department of State.