If you have purchased USA visitor health insurance or other international travel insurance plans for visitors, below is a description of how you can use your insurance plan in the event of a medical emergency, such as sickness or injury. The process is the same for all overseas medical insurance plans.
The following are the guidelines for using your visitor insurance in the USA.
At the Hospital
- Show your insurance information / insurance ID card
- Provide all necessary information requested by the medical reception staff.
- The hospital receptionist may call the insurance company to verify benefits.
- Be ready to make any payment if asked. Although most providers send the bill directly to the insurance company, it is possible that you may be asked to make a payment as your deductible / co-insurance.
- Ask for the proof of payments or receipts.
Meet Your Doctor
- Ask the doctor any relevant questions and provide the information the doctor requests from you.
- Receive appropriate medical treatment
Request Your Bill
- Request your bill with itemized services and corresponding medical service codes, which will be required while filing for claims
- Service providers may send this bill later via mail.
- Service provider can either send bill directly to the Insurance company or send to you.
- You may have to communicate with the provider to get an itemized bill for the services you have received.
Buy Medicine at a Pharmacy
- Make an upfront payment.
- Ask for the receipts.
- You can claim this money from the insurance company, as per the policy coverage.
- Since pharmacies do not store information in their systems for short-term insurance such as Visitor Insurance, you need to make an upfront payment at the pharmacy which you can claim from insurance company later. Read more: Using Travel Insurance at Pharmacy?
Download Claim Form
- Download the appropriate claim form from our website and complete it.
Documents Required for Filing a Claim:
- Completed claim form
- Clear, legible copy of passport.(including visa page, picture page, pages with entry and exit stamps)
- Copy of I-94 (if visiting the USA)
- Copies of all receipts
- Copies of medical bills and itemized services
- Cover letter outlining any special instructions
- The claims department will verify the information provided and make the payment for all eligible claims to appropriate parties.
- Payment can take 4 to 6 weeks or even more, since the insurance company takes time to collect all the information, verify claims, communicate with provider etc.
To learn more about claims: