If your family member or parents are traveling from India to USA, you must be wondering whether to buy Visitors Insurance from India or from USA. Well, an Indian-based insurance company might offer a less expensive policy; however, you must consider several other issues when purchasing visitors medical insurance from an Indian based company.
- In the case of a disputed claim filed in the United States, there might be an issue of regulatory jurisdiction. Indian insurance regulators might not recognize your dispute. On the other hand, US-based insurance providers, being fully regulated, can pay heed to any disputes that may arise.
- You might be required to pay upfront if your hospital or doctor in USA does not recognize your insurance. Then you might file the claim with your insurance provider in India for reimbursement. However, claim processing in India might result in time administrative difficulties when working with the insurance agency.
- If you need immediate assistance, connecting with customer support of an Indian insurance provider might be difficult, as it might be unavailable in the US time zone. This might cause delay at the time of need when you need assistance or have to file claims.
- Most Indian insurance providers do not offer renewable policies. Make sure you are aware of all the policy conditions. Find out whether you can renew the insurance if your family member extends their trip.
- Almost all Indian visitor insurance providers offer limited coverage plans, which do not have much choice on plan selection.
- Indian insurance regulations might not be able to protect your rights when you are within US jurisdiction.
- A USA based insurance company can be a better choice, since it is regulated by the U.S. insurance regulations.
- Since some Indian insurance providers are new to the field, they might not be able to provide you with the much-needed support.
- Many Indian plans are not cancellable or refundable. This means you might not get a refund if you have an emergency and have to return to India early.
At VisitorsCoverage, we would strongly recommended you to purchase travel insurance from USA, a cost-effective option that would provide you peace of mind. Besides, on your trip to the USA, you would want to enjoy your trip traveling around rather than worrying about travel medical emergencies and their costs.