If you or a family member are planning on visiting the U.S. from India, you're probably looking at purchasing travel insurance that offers medical coverage while their traveling abroad. As a resident of India, it’s understandable that you would be tempted to buy travel insurance for the USA from India. However, this might not be the best way to go.
Although an Indian-based insurance company might offer a cheaper policy, buying travel insurance from an America-based company is still your best bet. Let’s take a look at the main benefits to purchasing travel insurance from the U.S. for your trip abroad.
Why Buy Travel Insurance For India from the US?
- U.S. travel insurance companies are regulated. This is important because if you dispute a claim, it’s possible that the unregulated Indian insurance company may not acknowledge your claim dispute. However, U.S.-based insurance providers are fully regulated and are required to pay attention to any claim disputes. Your concerns are much more likely to be heard and addressed by trusted insurance professionals.
- Easier travel insurance provider name recognition. U.S. doctors and hospitals are more likely to recognize an American travel insurance provider. This is key because if your hospital or doctor in the U.S. doesn't recognize your insurance, they may ask you to make an upfront payment and file a claim. Navigating the claim processing in India may involve some administrative challenges when dealing with the insurance agency.
- The time-zone matters. If you’re in the United States and need immediate assistance, connecting with the customer support of an Indian insurance provider might be difficult, due to the time zones. This might cause delays when you need assistance or have to file claims.
- Many U.S. travel insurance companies offer renewable policies. This means that if you’re enjoying yourself in America so much that you want to stay another week or two, you can contact your insurance company and either extend or renew the policy duration. Most Indian travel insurance policies are not renewable.
- U.S. travel insurance companies will cover you comprehensive medical coverage while most Indian companies only offer limited coverage plans
- U.S.-based travel insurance will be better able to protect your rights as a policyholder. Indian insurance regulations might not be able to protect your rights when you are within U.S. jurisdiction.
- Many travel insurance plans from India for the U.S. offering trip coverage will only allow you to cancel your trip plans for a limited number of reasons and still recoup prepaid non-refundable expenses. This means you might not get a refund if you have an emergency and have to return to India early. However, travel insurance companies in the U.S., however, offer Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) and Interruption For Any Reason (IFAR) benefits with their insurance plans.
VisitorsCoverage strives to make your travels as safe and as stress-free as possible. That's why we recommend travel insurance from the U.S., as a cost-effective travel safety solution. Think of it this way: Travel Insurance from the U.S. gives you peace of mind since you know you’ll be covered should you face any emergency medical situations or your travel plans are disrupted. Keeping your visit stress-free allows you to focus on the important things: Experiencing all the sights from the iconic Hollywood sign to the towering Empire State Building and making lasting memories with your loved ones in America.