If you missed the enrollment period for ObamaCare, which is usually November 15 to February 15, you may still be able to enroll for health insurance if you qualify for special enrollment. If not, you don’t have to worry about being unable to get insurance; you can still insure yourself with a short-term health insurance plan.
Short-Term Health Insurance provides medical coverage for a brief period of time, so if you have missed the ObamaCare open enrollment period, short term health insurance gives you medical coverage until the enrollment period reopens for the following year. Short term health insurance is also good for people who are:
- In between jobs or waiting on health benefits to begin.
- No longer covered under parent’s insurance policy.
- Waiting on Medicare or other government-sponsored health care.
- Recent college graduates.
- New immigrants.
Highlights of Short Term Insurance
Some of the features offered by short term health insurance are outlined below.
- Less expensive that regular health insurance plans.
- Provides emergency medical services coverage.
- Flexible coverage period between 30 days to 12 months.
- Can go into effect as soon as the next day.
- Can enroll at any time during the year.
Why Purchase Short Term Insurance If You Missed the ObamaCare Deadline?
Short-term health insurance does not qualify as minimum essential coverage under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), but is a good option for people who are temporarily uninsured. It offers good emergency medical services coverage so that you are protected against any unforeseen illnesses or injuries. Even if you are only waiting a very short period of time until the ObamaCare enrollment period reopens, you should protect yourself in case of any medical emergencies. Remember, having basic health insurance is better than having no health insurance at all.
It is a good idea to explore your options about short-term health insurance in the meantime. To learn more see additional reading links below. To learn more about these temporary health insurance, please contact our short-term medical insurance experts at firstname.lastname@example.org for any medical insurance needs.