The solution: Cancel for Any Reason Insurance The optional Cancel for Any Reason or CFAR insurance offers coverage for the types of situations described above, particularly as it's related to reimbursement for refundable trip costs and certain nonrefundable deposits.
Cancel for Any Reason insurance expands the benefits of basic trip cancellation insurance, but these two types of insurance are distinctly different.
Trip cancellation insurance covers specific, unforeseen incidences like injuries or illnesses, natural disasters, lost passport or other covered issues beyond the insured's control. But only CFAR allows you to cancel your trip plans and recoup prepaid travel expenses that would have otherwise been nonrefundable.
What does the Cancel for Any Reason benefit cover?
Different policies offer varying levels of coverage. In general, though, "Cancel for Any Reason" coverage is a supplemental option to add to traditional trip insurance plan, and can help travelers get reimbursed for costs not otherwise covered in their regular cancellation policy. Money spent for things like pre-paid trip deposits, transportation or event tickets, lodging doesn't have to be lost just because you have to cancel your trip for a reason not covered by regular trip cancellation insurance.
By adding CFAR insurance to your trip insurance, you're giving yourself the freedom and peace of mind that comes from knowing you can cancel your plans for any reason (even if you just don't feel like going) and still recoup financial expenses.
However, there are things you'll have to consider when it comes to Cancel for Any Reason insurance:
- Travelers must purchase CFAR insurance within 15 days of making their first trip payment or deposit.
- Trips must be canceled at least 48 hours ahead of the departure date for policyholders to qualify for reimbursement.
- Travelers must ensure their policy will reach the amount required to cover the nonrefundable deposits of their trip.
- Reimbursement is distributed according to the amount specified in the policy, typically between 50% and 75% of covered costs.
Why do I need Cancel for Any Reason coverage?
There are a few key reasons why you shouldn't travel without buying "Cancel for Any Reason" insurance, including:
- CFAR ensures full coverage: There are different kinds of trip and travel insurance that provide coverage for varying events or issues. Trip delay, trip interruption and trip cancellation insurance can support travelers if their departure or return is delayed, if they need to end their trip unexpectedly or if they need to cancel for specific, covered reasons. Cancel for Any Reason insurance comes as an optional addition to these traditional travel insurance plans, and can expand coverage beyond what's provided by other types of travel and trip insurance.
- Most cancellations happen well ahead of time:Most cancellations take place well in advance of the departure date. In fact, about 30% of the time, trip cancellations take place 60 to 90 days ahead of the trip date. Cancel for Any Reason insurance comes in handy in just these instances.
- You never know what might occur: It's a smart move to plan ahead, but it's impossible to consider any and every situation. Sometimes, unforeseen events demand your presence, no matter if you've have a vacation planned for months. In other instances, you may simply feel too stressed to get away. Stress is a big reason people end up canceling their trips. While these instances aren't usually covered by a regular trip insurance policy, travelers can receive reimbursement for costs they might otherwise lose due to scheduling issues with their Cancel for Any Reason insurance.
If you're planning a trip, consider purchasing Cancel for Any Reason coverage. Have questions? Our Customer Success Team has the answers.