For some, the process of traveling from one place to another can induce anxiety. Both travel planning and undertaking a trip can sometimes appear daunting, especially for those with acute or diagnosed anxiety issues.
Whether you’re feeling insecure as a first-time traveler or are an avid traveler who’s unsure about traveling in the current global climate, consider buying a travel insurance policy. It will not only help you in keeping calm, but will also provide you legitimate security during any potential travel emergencies.
If the thought of leaving your home and being in new and strange place makes you feel overwhelmed and fearful, here are a few ways to reduce anxiety so you can enjoy your trip:
- Make travel preparations - Thoroughly researching for your itinerary will not only keep your mind busy, but it’ll also give you more confidence about the trip you’re about to embark on. Apart from your travel plans, put some effort into preparing how you might deal with your symptoms. Maybe breathing exercises or meditation calm you down? Figure out what helps you relieve anxiety and start implementing them now so you’ll be prepared when the time comes.
- Use affirmations & visualizations - Practicing relaxation techniques weeks before you travel will help you ease and keep uncomfortable thoughts away. Turn your negative thoughts into happier thoughts by visualizing yourself in a serene scene or the best of locations marked in your itinerary. Also, try practicing affirmations such as “I am safe” or “This too shall pass.” Most importantly, feel the enthusiasm of taking a trip rather than letting anxiety ruin the adventure.
- Carry a first aid box or a survival kit - Carrying a personal safety kit or first aid kit is a good idea. Although there will always be flight attendants onboard a plane or other staff who can assist at hotels or tourist attractions, a little safety precaution can go a long way when travel emergencies may arise.
- Reach out to people and make new friends - When on a trip, meet and make new friends. Get to know people, their culture, their background, and their world. Reaching out to locals or fellow travelers and connecting with them will help to cope with social anxiety and overcome feelings of isolation. Plus, you may just end up with a lifelong friend!
- Keep in touch - In this digital age, almost every corner of the world is connected. If you’re feeling anxious, calling or texting a loved one back home can ease some of the feelings of anxiety or fear. Plus, in case of an unforeseen or unexpected emergency, it is advisable to always carry your list of emergency contacts along with your travel documents.
The Best Way to Ensure an Anxiety-Free Trip? Purchase Travel Insurance
No matter how frequent a traveler you are, there’s always a possibility that things can go wrong on a trip. However, that shouldn’t be an anxiety-inducing factor. Instead, purchasing travel insurance should give you a sense of security and help ease your worries. Since you can’t prevent common travel emergencies from happening while on a trip, travel insurance can be your best safeguard against anything unexpected that arises.
Here is a general list of what travel insurance covers:
- Trip cancellation or delay caused due to sickness, injury, or death in the family resulting in a financial loss
- Travel medical insurance provides health coverage in the event that you become sick or injured. Most travel insurance plans also have assistance for emergency evacuation of travelers
- Covers loss or theft of your baggage and passport. Some insurers may help to arrange for a temporary passport
- Covers emergency expenses due to a natural calamity or terrorist activities, including return flights to home
- Also covers loss or damage to property or injury to a person who is not a member of your family or traveling party under the personal liability caused due to negligence
To learn more and for better understanding, you can conduct your own research, compare the available travel insurance plans, and choose a policy that suits your needs. Our Customer Success Team is also happy to help you select a plan that best meets your needs.
If you’re prone to travel anxiety, utilizing tools such as visualization or meditation can certainly help you get in the right mindset for your upcoming travels. However, when it comes to coverage for actual emergencies that may arise, travel insurance is your best bet. By purchasing travel insurance, you’ll have the reassurance and peace of mind knowing that you’re covered against anything unexpected that comes your way.