If you are considering buying travel insurance for seniors, who are 70 years or older for their upcoming travel to the USA, you will benefit from the following tips about finding the cheapest or best overseas travel medical insurance.
There have been cases where a daughter was inviting her father from India and was really worried, especially since her father was in his late 70s and was traveling alone. Though he did not have any pressing health issues, yet, for someone in their late 70s or 80s, extra care and precaution is always necessary. A 20-hour flight from India to San Francisco can be exhausting, even for young adults in their 20s and 30s. So, for people in their 70s and 80s, the journey can be nothing less than a nightmare.
The question that naturally follows is - What is the best visitor insurance for elderly parents or seniors over 70 years of age? Unfortunately, there aren't many choices for Travel insurance for elderly belonging to this age group.
Age is one of the most important factors when considering a travel health insurance purchase. There is a misconception that younger people are healthier than the elderly. Hence most insurance companies are reluctant to give higher policy maximum or flexible benefits for people above 70 years of age.
Most non-US travel insurance companies may even decline issuing a policy for people over 70 years old, without a pre-medical exam. Even US-based travel medical insurance companies, offering insurance coverage, impose a lot of restrictions. For people in their 70s, the policy maximum amount is restricted to $50,000 for comprehensive plans, while limited coverage plans only cover up to $75,000. For people above 80, the policy maximum is even lesser. For comprehensive coverage plans, the maximum policy amount is just $15,000, and for limited coverage plans, it is $70,000. The premium for purchasing insurance is always higher for older people.
It is perceived that the older a person gets, there is a higher risk of injury or sickness. Hence it is absolutely essential to get better coverage even if it is expensive. It is needless to state that medical expenses in the USA are exorbitant. Even the slightest professional medical attention can cost too much, hence it is always better to buy insurance.
Important Things to Consider Before Purchasing a Plan
There are a few things to keep in mind before buying travel insurance for seniors over 70 or 80 years of age.
When considering a policy for senior travelers, take note of:
- Their general health condition
- The activities they might participate in during their stay
- The length of their stay
The following can give you a better understanding of how much coverage the visitor needs, and if a higher premium plan is worth investing in for this particular person.
- General health condition: Some people in their 70s and 80s are almost as healthy as a younger person. While buying a visitors health insurance, it is important to know about the traveler's general health condition. If they are more susceptible to sickness or injury or remain unhealthy, you should go for a higher policy plan, which might be more expensive. In the case of a person whose general health is stable, and doesn't get sick too often, you may choose a lower coverage plan.
- Activities they might participate in during travel: Before purchasing the right health insurance for visitors, it is important to consider the activities that they plan to undertake during their visit to the USA. If the traveler is more likely to stay indoors without traveling much or participating in adventurous activities, you may choose a limited coverage plan. For elderly people, even the a short car drive from one place to another can be strenuous and lead to sickness or injury. If the visitor wishes to participate in a number of activities during their stay in the USA, they should consider a comprehensive coverage policy with a higher policy maximum.
- Length of their stay or policy period: The longer the person stays in the USA, the higher the chances of falling sick or having an injury. So, if the period of stay for the visitor is extended, the higher policy maximum should be chosen.
Above 70 Years of Age: For people who are above 70 years of age, comprehensive travel medical insurance plans are highly recommended, although they are more expensive than limited coverage plans. However, if budgeting is a big concern, then one can also opt for a limited coverage plans. and still be covered for most unexpected events.
For travelers ages 70-74, ChoiceAmerica, a newly introduced travel medical insurance plan, is an excellent solution for a trip abroad. While ChoiceAmerica Insurance is a limited coverage or budget plan with fixed benefit coverage, it is top in its class of insurance in providing travelers with essential benefits for all of their travel and health related needs. For more information on this policy, visit ChoiceAmerica Insurance.
Please refer to the following articles to learn more about age specific plan information and possible recommendations based on the age group.
Between the age of 70 to 79: Travel Insurance for Visitors Age between 70 to 79 years.
Over 80 years of age: Travel Insurance for Visitors over 80 years.
If you have any specific questions about our policies for senior travelers, email us at email@example.com.