As the COVID-19 pandemic enters its second year, travelers young and old are experiencing a little wanderlust. We want to travel, but we want to travel safely. One of the safest ways to get away is a vacation home rental.
Since the number of people staying at the home is limited to your family, vacation rentals are great alternatives to the higher-risk hotels, motels and lodges. Let's say you're living in America's land-locked Midwest. Just imagine what it would be like to wake up to the smell of coffee brewing and look out your bedroom window at the sun coming up over the Pacific waves. The house is quiet, the kids are sleeping in and best yet, there aren't piles of laundry, broken garage doors, or overflowing junk drawers nagging at you. All the comforts of home and none of the work.
You'll Need Trip Insurance
The good news is that trip insurance plans usually offer coverage for these homes away from homes. Trip plans give coverage for non-refundable prepaid trip costs if you end up having to cancel, postpone or cut your travel plans short. A necessary bonus in the time of Corona.
Trip insurance plans can reimburse you for non-refundable and prepaid expenses. They can be particularly helpful when you're traveling to politically unstable areas or in situations where you might need to cancel your plans. You can also read more about how trip insurance works. Many trip insurance plans cover vacation rentals but there are a few things you'll want to consider:
- Non-refundable deposits and costs can be added to the total trip cost to be insured
- If there are multiple people on the lease splitting the cost, the insured can add the cost that they'll be paying and not the entire rental cost
- The lease must state that the deposit is not refundable in order to be covered by a trip insurance plan
Before you head off to your vacation home rental, you'll want to know what benefits you'll need in a trip insurance plan. Here are some key benefits to look for when choosing trip insurance plans.
- Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR): The best trip insurance plans have CFAR included or as an optional add-on. This benefit does exactly what it says it does, if you have to cancel, for any reason, it reimburses for covered costs. Be sure to read the plan documents carefully. Some plans can include tricky clauses that narrow the reimbursement you get based on the reason you choose to cancel your trip. These trip insurance plans offer Cancel For Any Reason Coverage, which is especially important during COVID-19.
- COVID-19 Coverage: During the global pandemic, it's crucial to choose a trip insurance plan that covers you if you need to cancel due to coronavirus concerns either at home or at your destination. We've compiled a list of trip plans that include COVID-19 as a valid reason for the cancellation of a trip.
- Reimbursement Percentage: Some trip plans will cover a greater percentage of your prepaid costs in the event that you need to cancel. Plans that cover 100% or 150% of your prepaid costs will allow you to travel with lower risk than other plans.
What's the Best Trip Plan for Me?
Every traveler's needs are different. The following trip insurance plans will meet the needs of most travelers.
- Worldwide Trip Protector Plus
- RoundTrip Choice
- iTravelInsured Travel LX
- Safe Travels Multinational Trip Protection
If you have more questions or need assistance choosing a travel insurance plan to protect you on your travels, our Customer Success Team will be happy to help.